Sunday, January 15, 2012

Guam Trip Jan. '12

On the bus to the airport, we found this article in the magazine in the pocket. This is a man (Allan West - hence the name of the article) in our branch who is an artist. I have been to his studio. He does huge screens on commission along with other work. He has really become Japanese with a Japanese wife and a son. It was about a 3 1/2 hour flight from Tokyo - of course, it took us 1 1/2 hours to get to the airport in Japan!

The Marriott driver was waiting for us after we got through customs.


Here are some views from out 16th floor window.






So good to see the American flag flying again!


Waiting to be picked up by the Mechams, the mission parents for this huge mission. It covers 3 time zones! We only presented to the Guam and Saipan zones. It is too hard to get all the missionaries together and too expensive.


The sweet sisters at lunch. Can you spot the sister from Australia?


Loved this scripture case!


Even though there were chairs available at the tables, the missionaries preferred to sit on the floor to eat. I guess this is what they do in members' homes.


Subway sandwiches!




Brownies!


Chips!


This is the name of the ward and the STAKE that was created December 2010!


Elders (and Sisters) wear Crocs when they are out and about. They are supposed to wear good shoes when at church or meetings. This elder from Saipan forgot his other shoes!


The sisters and Sister Mecham.


Too far away but these are the sisters in two zones.




The church building - there are three in Guam.


These sisters dressed alike. The skinny one just got there from Fiji a couple of days before.


Sisters singing a beautiful musical number.


Ready for a baptism. This was an added bonus of our trip!


This is the sun sinking into the Pacific as we were waiting for the baptism to take place. The font is outdoors!

After the baptism.


This is the font.


These beautiful flowers were everywhere on the trees and laying on the ground. The sisters would gather them and put them in their hair. These are the type that they make leis from.


I think Sister Smibert wasn't quite ready for this picture! Her companion, Sister Aaron, strung beads to sell to earn money for her mission. We have some great souls who are serving!


The Mechams and Gibsons.


Kids are kids no matter where they are. These couldn't resist climbing the rock walls after the baptism.




The Donahoes by the Harley that was in the hotel lobby.


And the Gibsons!


Waiting is not pleasant for Rulon so he carries sudoko puzzles to work on while he passes the time! This is in KMart - see the pizza poster. We were at the food court waiting for the Donahoes to finish shopping.


Driving past a wall that was brightly painted.


We went to two different malls that were just wonderful. Here is the food court in one of them - we had a Burer King hamburger!




And my sourveir of the trip! I have been looking for a dragonfly like this all over Japan. And I found just what I wanted in Guam! Dad tells me it is locust and Dan will probably confirm that, but I like it just the same!


Another wonderful trip! We have just one more in February up to Sapporo where it will be extremely cold and snowy. We are going to see the world famous ice festival with huge sculptures. What a change from the hot, humid weather of Guam!

4 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Karli says: We miss you a lot. The pictures are pretty. When are you coming back from your mission?

Mark says: Looks like it was a fun trip, despite the hectic schedule for travelling. The missionaries all look like they're hard workers. We had a missionary "homecoming talk" in our ward today. It made me think of you guys.

Paige said...

Looks like a tropical paradise! The missionaries all look so sweet and that they are enjoying their work. Cute bug--I'll show it to Dan and get his input.

Steve and Kim said...

Such a fun trip! We had a double farewell on Sunday...fun to hear how excited they are! Dad, have you ever played Spider Solitaire? I just found it on my phone...it's HARD, but fun and addicting!

LJ said...

What a gorgeous place to be! I loved the outdoor baptismal font. I also loved the sisters with the beautiful flowers in their hair. It looks like some wonderful missionaries are serving there and blessing many people's lives. I'm glad you got to go to some Americanized places for a fun change. I love the dragon fly you found. You will have the quite the collection when you come home to remember the amazing places you have been! Poor Dad, I know he hates waiting. I'm glad he found something fun to do to pass the time! :)