Sunday, March 18, 2012

More March Madness 2012

John and Diane Harris took us out for a nice meal at the American Club. It was fun to eat while looking over the vast city of Tokyo! For Family Home Evening, we tied quilts that I had made. Even the men seemed to enjoy this activity. Here are the Riches ...


the Grames ...


the Bridges ...


the Donahoes ...


and Nobby Muranaka!


Risa (Lisa) came over and helped us to learn to make gyoza.


She loves hanging out with us oldsters!


Joy Rich filling the thin skins that wrap around the seasoned meat.


Sister Meisman is new and she joined us for this activity.


Frying and then the best part - eating them!



More food preparation! Here Yuko Hymas is making her contribution to our potluck that we held to celebrate finishing our kimono quilt squares.


Kym Froelich hosted the group in her beautiful apartment. She went all out with the best china and silverware. She also made this red velvet cake for our dessert!


She was a caterer at one time and she really knew how to make everything look and taste wonderful.


Kym, Cynthia Nanto, Rosalie Ringwood and me - and the food!


Laura Herschi embroidered our names on our squares! She is fantastically talented and so giving of her time.


After we ate, we laid our squares around the table and then went around and picked up one from each pile. We got 12 squares to make into a friendship quilt!


Here we are holding up the ones that we made - 3 of our group couldn't come.


I made Laura a kimono bag to thank her for embroidering our names on our squares.


These are examples of how the squares can be used. Laura made these quilts. She made some like them for Sister Oaks and Sister Hallstrom when they visited the area last month. I told you she was talented!


Here is one with 12 squares.


I never tire of looking at these colorful blocks. What a treasure for me to take home from my stay in Japan!


Kym showed us her Christmas tree quilt that she had made. It was such a fun afternoon!


We've had lots of rain lately - this is looking out our window at people getting in a cab in front of the reception center.


Today we had our final Senior Sunday lunch (the third week of each month at our apartment). Candace Donahoe made this darling apron for me as a going away gift. I just love it! Friends can sign the white areas so that we will remember our time in Tokyo.

Our time is growing short - just 11 more days until we return home. What a wonderful time we have had!

4 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Sounds like it will be very hard for you to leave. Hopefully, you'll develop new relationships like those in your Lindon ward.

Miss Kim said...

Beautiful! Almost makes me wish I knew how to quilt! I loved that Christmas tree one too! And I can't wait to see you don your apron for us!

LJ said...

The quilts are beautiful and so creative! I loved the video you put on Facebook too- seeing Dad tie a quilt is something I didn't think I would ever see! You have made such great friends. The food looked delicious- especially the red velvet cake!

La Asistente said...

It's been such a pleasure to share your mission with you through this blog. Hopefully you'll send out a final blog post when you get home. Rulon, we also anticipate a final epistle from you.

Thanks for being examples of the finest missionaries we know. Only four more years until we have that experience ourselves!

Much love,

Gary & Cynthia