On Friday about 5:00, there was a knock on the door. I thought it was probably a someone stumping for a politician again. But it was a man who said that they were in the "neighborhood" working on trees. I have heard that line before but I had heard the noise down the street and I had seen the huge trucks so I knew they were for real. He told me that our two front trees were very valuable and we needed to have the dead wood and suckers removed so they could thrive.
I know that I am constantly picking up branches and twigs after a windstorm and that there were some dead branches. So I asked him for an estimate - of course, he gave me a real deal!!?? For the two trees, we would pay only $300 instead of $500. I told him I would ask my husband and call him. I know he didn't expect me to call but Dad said to go ahead. It was bitterly cold outside and I know that they must have really been desperate to want to work in such weather.
So yesterday, they came with a huge truck with a grinder, about 10 men and lots of equipment. They finished within an hour! The trees do look a lot better and although it probably was painful for them, it was for their good to be hacked and trimmed.
Isn't that just like us - we don't want to undergo pain and suffering to clear out our dead wood and those suckers that sap our energy! But like the olive trees in the scriptures, we need to be pruned and cut back so that new growth can occur. Another life lesson learned!!
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm just wondering about the term "sucker" and the fact that you spent $300 for someone to trim a few branches.
Just an ironic term, I thought. :-)
Glad I don't have any trees. That's expensive.
That's a really cool analogy, Mom! Sorry I'm late on commenting. It is true, the painful experiences are usually the necessary ones. I guess it's good that you and Dad didn't need to be out in the cold and worth the money to have someone else do it.
Mark's comment- hysterical!!
Post a Comment