Sunday, February 3, 2008

Meditations After A Week

It has been a week of celebrating President Gordon B. Hinckley's life. Last Sunday evening, we learned of his death. It was a surprise to us as we didn't realize that he was ill. Apparently, he had been well until just a couple of days before he died. We have heard news broadcasts, tributes and testimonies regarding this giant of a man. What a powerhouse! It has been a privilege to have lived during his administration of the Church. He has been such an influence on so many. All of my children have expressed their love and appreciation for him. Paige and Kim and their girls were able to attend the viewing on Friday. We listened to the funeral services on the internet - a miracle! Today in church, there were prayers and more words of praise for him. Yet, he was such a humble man and was made great by his office.
Tomorrow at 11:00, the new presidency will be announced. We know that President Monson will step into this office and be very effective and very loved. It is an orderly system for change in the Church that allows men to be trained and prepared for such a calling.
I was thinking back over my nearly 65 years. I was born two years before President Heber J. Grant died in 1945. So I have lived through more than half of the presidencies. Here are the ones who have presided during my lifetime.
7 Heber J. Grant 1918-1945
8 George Albert Smith 1945-1951
9 David O. McKay 1951-1970
10 Joseph Fielding Smith 1970-1972
11 Harold B. Lee 1972-1973
12 Spencer W. Kimball 1973-1985
13 Ezra Taft Benson 1985-1994
14 Howard W. Hunter 1994-1995
15 Gordon B. Hinckley 1995-2008
16 Thomas S. Monson 2008 -
I can remember my dad coming out to tell me about the death of George Albert Smith as I was roller skating on the driveway. Of course, David O. McKay was the prophet through my youth and through the first five years of our marriage.
As each of the presidents has assumed the office, there has been an outpouring of the spirit on them and upon the members. They have each had an important role to play in Church history. Now we will be in the days of President Monson. He already holds a dear place in our hearts as he has been in the presidency for so long.
Today, I renewed my recommend. As the question was asked whether I sustained the prophet of the Church, I could answer "yes" because I know that whoever the Lord calls, I will sustain. I also sustain the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve - no matter who they are.
May we all gain our own personal testimonies of these men who have been called of God.

4 comments:

Grandma G. said...

Isn't she terrific! Her tender feelings and obvious writing skills have shown up in our children as well, thank goodness! I remember as I was starting to break out of the egg of the miniscule world of my hometown while in the first grade, wondering why it was necessary to elect Harry S. Truman as president when we already had Pres. Geo. Albert Smith as president of the Church. It didn't take long as I emerged to learn the world was hardly ready for a theocratic government.

Love,
Dad

Mark and Kellie said...

Interesting that you've only had two more prophets than I did. I think your parents came in on the tail end of Joseph F. Smith, so they had three more prophets than I did.

Steve and Kim said...

Certainly has been a week to remember. It's nice you could sustain the new prophet before he's even called - the church is so different than politics - and I like it that way.

LJ said...

Thanks for your uplifting thoughts, Mom. It was so interesting to read about the prophets throughout your lifetime. I can remember when President Kimball died when I was very little and having to have a babysitter while you watched the funeral broadcast at the church. At a very young age, I learned the importance and significance of a prophet's role on this earth- from the example of my wonderful parents. I think it's neat that you sustained the prophet at your temple interview during such a significant time of change for the church. You're awesome!