Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day 7



This is the day we traveled through the Guatemalan counryside to the border and crossed into Belize, formerly known as British Honduras. (Rulon said the border trouble we encountered was here, not going into Honduras.) The mountains and farmlands on the way into Belize City were so dramatic. We checked into the Princess Hotel. Some of the group left by speedboat to snorkel off a small island on Belize's Great Barrier Reef. Rulon and I opted to rest at the hotel and explore a couple of surrounding blocks. We had been warned of the dangers of going too far away from the hotel, especially at night. There is a lot of crime and we didn't want to have any bad experiences. In Belize, we heard English (spoken) with a Creole accent) and saw lots of black faces. We felt very white here. Our more adventurous friends returned and we all went to eat together. I had a lot of fish on this trip!

1 comment:

Mark and Kellie said...

The Great Barrier Reef would have been amazing to see, but I can't see you guys snorkeling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you could physically do it. However, I don't think books and sewing machines fare too well in the water. :-)

Glad you came home safely!!