Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1 '11 Quilt Projects + Construction

I helped Corrie Inoue make a quilt for her son for Christmas today. Last week we picked out the fabric. Next week we will put the batting in and get it ready to tie. She lives at least an hour away but comes to Institute each week and then either goes to the temple or helps tie quilts. Her dedication is amazing to me! Here is my "crazy quilt" done with my scraps of Japanese fabrics. It thought it turned out quite well. I will use it for a picnic quilt at home.


This is a flannel quilt for the group home. Vanalee Carruth donated a lot of fabric for this project as she will be moving in the spring.


Cindy Grames put this one together from Vanalee's fabrics. There was so much left that I made a similar one!


Another flannel quilt made from donated fabric from Vanalee and Lacy Chipman. The two were perfect for this kotatsu quilt. That means that it is put over a heated table and a futon is placed under it for warmth in unheated rooms.


Sister Nagano gave me a lot of this plaid fabric and it has made 4 quilts like this and another two of smaller size.


Yesterday was the last day for our National Supermarket to be open! I went and got 4 quarts of milk (you can't find gallon jugs) and some eggs. The lines were huge but things were really not marked down at all. People just wanted the American products. Here is a shot of a worker and customer (masked) and the lines of people at the registers.


This is a piece of equipment that has been working near our apartment. A couple of old buildings were carefully demolished and now they are digging out a huge basement (for parking, I presume). It has been fun to watch the progress and the workers. There is always a guard on the sidewalk to warn you to be careful.


There have been several shovels working full time to dig out the dirt and dispose of all the debris.


We won't see the completed building, I'm sure but it will probably be partway up by the end of March.


Well, today is 11/1/11! That will never happen again!

5 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Your quilts are amazing! I hope you can teach my girls to quilt since I'm not good at that. - Kellie

Paige said...

Hey, don't you mean 11/1/11? Amazing quilts. There are a lot of talented women there, including you!

Mom G said...

Well, I guess that 1/1/11 won't ever happen again either! I'll change it to 11/1/11 next time I am blogging. Soon it will be 11/11/11! Lots of marriages planned for that day!

LJ said...

Love the beautiful quilts- especially the crazy one! You are so creative! I wish I inherited a little of that. I also love how many friendships you make so easily. Everyone loves Sister Gibson! I hope I can be like that someday!

Mark and Kellie said...

Well, how many of you got to have a birthday this year on 1/11/11? I guess that makes me pretty special! :-)

And Sister Johnson, everyone loves you.