Sunday, November 6, 2011

November 6th '11

The Young Women did a spa night again for the Senior Missionary women. We got our nails painted, hand and neck massages and lots of smiles and hugs from these precious girls. India and Shona were assigned to me.

Here are four elders at our home for dinner. One is holding up the bowl of green jello that they loved. It is amazing that all four are Americans. Usually we have a least one Japanese elder.

Today, Natalie Herrmann was baptized. Sister Watabe and I gave her a wall hanging that I made with 4th Article of Faith on it. "We believe that the first principles and ordinances are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost."

We added a birthstone necklace, a pin, a picture of Jesus and a bookmark that said, "It's Great To Be Eight!".

We feel close to Natalie and her family as we have been the visiting teachers this past year while the daddy was in Afghanistan. We were able to babysit the children at times and in general, support the family during that long year. We are so grateful that he is home safely and could baptize Natalie today. He was very emotional. I'm sure he wondered if this day would even be possible. He was a fellow missionary with Mark in Frankfurt, Germany so we have enjoyed that connection also.

Tonight, Jo Scoffield and Vanalee Carruth and I were able to present the quilts to the director of the group home. They were delighted with them and actually requested more which is so unlike the independent Japanese who usually want to do everything by themselves. I think they have learned to trust us now and know that we have no ulterior motives for wanting to help.

We saw the children coming home from an outing. They range from about 6 to 17. Some are orphans and some have families that just cannot support them. Some are able to go home on holidays but many spend most of their time in the home. Some are challenged but many looked like typical children and teens. We hope they enjoy their new warm quilts!

It is wonderful to be able to see where these projects end up! And to see that they are appreciated is an added bonus.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Well, I don't know if I've ever seen you with your nails painted, Mom! The baptism gift is so cute and I'm glad her dad got to be there.