Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Day With the Aoyagis Part 2

Sister Aoyagi and her daughter prepared a beautiful New Year's lunch for us. There were the traditional foods eaten at this time of year in beautiful lacquered boxes.
The little girl is their granddaughter.

It was delicious!



After lunch, we began the ritualistic tea ceremony. There was a certain way that the bowls had to face, a precise way to wipe the place on the cup after you took a sip, etc.

You had to enter the little room on your knees through a small entrance.


There was a certain way to prepare the tea, place the ladle, place the plate full of sweets, and many other correct ways to do things.





The Watabes did a great job of following all the directions. Rulon and I mostly watched as my knee didn't allow me to sit on my heels for long.


















Always the ham!






Sister Watabe tries her hand at making the tea.


Rulon with a wooden sword - again, having fun.

After the tea ceremony, Sister Aoyagi whispered to me that she wanted to dress me in her funeral kimono. She was unable to wear this when her own mother died because it was summer and it wasn't suitable for that season. Apparently when a girl is married, she needs to have a black kimono to wear to funerals.

It was such an privilege to wear this in honor of both our mothers. My mother's funeral was to be the next day and I was overwhelmed at the kindness shown me by this dear woman.





Sweet Sister Aoyagi - what a lot of energy she has! It was a busy day for her. Just getting us dressed took a lot of effort and then there was the meal and the tea ceremony.



This is dark, but I wanted a picture of the Relief Society president who spent her day with us helping Sister Aoyagi with the dressing, tea ceremony, and meal.



Elder Aoyagi and Sister Aoyagi and the Gibsons.

The gift of time and love that was given to us will never be forgotten. How could we ever have had such an experience like this anywhere else?

4 comments:

Miss Kim said...

There are SO many ceremonial traditions in Japan! They must love you to include you in such special events. Glad you are able to learn and participate. I was wondering how you did on the floor for so long!

LJ said...

What a sweet, thoughtful sister! That was such a tender act of kindness and love to dress you in her funeral kimono in honor of Grandma. You look so beautiful, Mom! I love the pretty flowers you are holding too. I'm sure Grandma was smiling from above as she saw this the day before her funeral.

I love the pics of you and Dad in your kimonos too! Dad always makes me laugh with his teasing and big smile when it is supposed to be so proper! :) I hope we can have a Japanese dinner with you when you come home. The granddaughters and daughters can dress in their kimonos, and the grandsons can dress in their Japanese PJs and we can sit on the floor while Dave makes us sushi! :)

Paige said...

You guys look great in your kimonos! Mom, you looked beautiful in the black one holding the flowers. What a sweet woman to do that for you.

Some of my clients moved to Tokyo. I believe the LDS Family Services is in that same office building (it had the same address). I told them if they ever run into and Elder or Sister Gibson to say hi!

Mark and Kellie said...

Amazing experience. I can't believe how Christlike some of the folks are out there. Hope you're not disappointed by Americans when you return.