Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fun Newspaper Pictures Jan. '12

New Year is a BIG deal in Japan. The paper has been full of items regarding customs that I find fascinating. Here is a tree in the devastated area that looks like a dragon. Since this is the Year of The Dragon, many people have gone to look at it. Here is a dragon in a parade in an area close to us. Wish I could have seen it in person.

Girls learning to arrange flowers.

Performing stunts on poles as part of a New Year celebration.


Even the cartoons teach me about the customs. Pounding rice into mochi is done in huge barrels with large hammers. This cartoon shows the difference between cultures!


This isn't about New Year, but I thought it was interesting.

The front page of the Japan Times ....

and the last page! I will miss seeing things like this in the Deseret News!

4 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Dad! Can't you get control over that wife of yours? These sumo pictures are getting out of hand.

Mom G said...

Dad responds:
I don't know, Mark...it's likely an innocent, hyperbolic expression of wish fulfillment, given the rather scrawny husband she now has.

Mark and Kellie said...

I think your diagnostic impression is spot on.

LJ said...

You will miss the Sumo pictures when you are back in Utah? :) It is interesting to see how they celebrate the New Year. The little girls arranging flowers are adorable. I'm glad you have been there for 2 happy new years!