Married 70 years to Merlynn M. Tanner - August 6, 1941 to August 13, 2011 on earth - and for all eternity.Here is what I wrote for Chris to read at the funeral which will be January 20, 2012. Chris will represent me and our family and also the grandchildren as he is the oldest.
As I contemplated what I could say about my mother that would encapsulate her qualities, the thought came that she has qualities like the Holy Ghost whose mission it is to comfort, guide and testify.
Throughout my life, Mom was able to comfort me in my sorrows both large and small. Her kind words and gentle touch calmed my fears and hushed the nagging worries of my life. The touch of her hand on my feverish head was cooling and brought great comfort and relief. A pat on my arm told me that she was proud of me and loved me unconditionally.
Just as the Holy Ghost can guide us in our decisions and protect us from physical and spiritual danger, so my mother guided and protected me. The blessings she gave me of a good family life and consistent church attendance gave me a template for my own family. Because of her teachings and example, I knew right from wrong. We were taught to be moral and live clean lives.
The Holy Ghost testifies of Christ. So did my mother. Her certainty of the resurrection was reassuring and certain. I knew that she believed that the Savior had come to show us how to live and to atone for our sins. She let us know that there was a way to happiness and she wanted it for us. I was blessed to have a "mother who knew".
The verses of the hymn, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" contain some beautiful sentiments that apply not only to my Savior and can also apply to my mother.
She lived to comfort me, to hear my soul’s complaint, to silence all my fears, to wipe away my tears, to calm my troubled heart, and to impart all blessings.
I feel very blessed to have had such a mother. She wanted me to go on a mission even though she knew that she might not be here when I returned. I will always feel her loving comfort, guidance and testimony and I am so thankful to be her daughter.
Barbara Tanner Gibson January 21, 2012
3 comments:
Thank you for posting this, it's beautiful. There isn't any better place for you to be at this time, I'm sure you can feel her spirit as you serve others as she did. There is no better tribute.
Mom, that was beautiful! A perfect tribute to Grandma. I love the comparison to the Holy Ghost. She was a comforter and blessed so many people's lives. Grandma was probably so pleased as she heard this at the funeral. I will always remember what she told me when I talked to her about you a few days before she passed: "She is a beautiful daughter."
Dear Barbara,
After reading these last two entries about you mother, I understand better why you are the special person that you are. May you take comfort in knowing that she followed so quickly in your father's footsteps and she like many of our loved ones will be waiting there to greet us.
Love to you and Elder Rulon.
Post a Comment