Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year Activities Jan. '12

This is the year of the dragon in the Japanese/Chinese calender. We just finished the year of the rabbit and when we first came we were in the year of the tiger. It has been fascinating to learn about the customs regarding the New Year. We now have said goodbye to 2011 and are beginning 2012. This will be a time in our lives never to be forgotten.






Our French friends gave us this today. The tiny little pig figure is to be baked into a cake to be eaten on New Year's Day. Whoever gets the piece with the pig in it gets to be the king or queen and wear the crown! (Just so they don't break a tooth when they bite into the cake and find the "prize")!



These are what are placed on the doorways of homes and businesses at the time of the new year. They are to ward off evil spirits. The pine represents life, the open fan is a new beginning, and the bamboo is flexible and bends but doesn't break.






As we took a walk, we saw these pictures on a wall outside the German embassy. I couldn't resist taking a picture of the German sumo wrestler working over the Japanese wrestler.



Here is the spider statue at Roppongi - it was a great day for a walk.



I got a good shot of the Tokyo Tower. Apparently on December 31, they have a sign in lights that changes from 2011 to 2012. Of course, we didn't stay up to see it change. Let the young people do that now!



Another poster from the wall at the German embassy. They look like they are celebrating!



We've had a good week between Christmas and New Year. Now shops are closed for a few days for people to celebrate the beginning of a new year. People are supposed to begin anew at this time of year by forgiving others, paying off debts, cleaning their homes and businesses from top to bottom and enjoying many cultural events of the season. May 2012 be better for Japan that 2011 was - although today we had a 6.8 earthquake that really shook us up as we were at dinner at the Grames'. Hope that isn't a precursor for this year!

6 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Great! First blog of the new year and Mom's already putting pictures of naked bums on it. MY EYES!!

Paige said...

Yeah, Mom, I could have done without seeing that. :) Sorry to hear about the earthquake but glad you are okay. Hopefully that is that last before you come home!

LJ said...

I'm glad you survived another earthquake! I think of you guys every time the train behind our house shakes us! Wow- those sumo wrestlers are so FAT! How that can be a fun sport to watch is beyond me. I loved seeing the New Years decorations and the Japanese traditions that go along with it. I hope you can enjoy these last few months in Japan to the fullest. I can't believe April will be here so soon!

Steve and Kim said...

Such fun traditions. I may have to start cooking something in all my dinners...that may get my kids to actually eat knowing there's a surprise or reward involved!

mason shanks said...

That's a great blog you have

mason shanks said...

Mason