Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The 5 Cent Bribe

First, you have to read Judy P.'s blog about an unfair teacher. See http://thechicagoconnection.blogspot.com/. Then read my account of a teacher who was more than fair (but it took a bribe).

I was in Junior High School at the time this occurred. My grades were always A's and A-'s. So imagine my horror to receive a B in gym class! Actually, it was probably more than fair as I was very uncoordinated and clumsy when it came to physical things. I always did well on the testing, was on time, was well mannered, showered each day (another story!) but I am sure my abilities in the actual physical activities was below average. She was probably generous in giving me a B. But somehow, it upset me enough to go and confront her. This was a huge act of courage at this time of my life. I was not confident and was a "pleaser". The teacher, Miss Lindsay, was also the daughter of our bishop. My dad was his counselor. She also taught the health classes and was also my Sunday School teacher! Oh, the joys of a small town. Anyway, she could tell that I was upset (I wonder how she could tell - tears?) She told me that if I would bring her a Payday candy bar, she would raise my grade to an A-. So, somehow, I got to the drugstore, purchased the Payday (payoff) and gave it to her on Sunday at church. She did raise my grade and I remained an A student and was on the honor roll again. (What honor???) Even now, over 50 years later, each time I see a Payday I think of this event. Was it worth it? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Paige said...

What!? Is this legal?? Why didn't you tell me this when I was in school?

Steve and Kim said...

That's hilarious! I would have paid off my gym teachers too if you had informed me of this easy payoff idea! I am, however, always telling my students to bring me chocolate... Somehow I never get any.

LJ said...

I remember this story, Mom! :) Thanks for sharing it again. I think it's such a funny story and that the candy bar bribe worked. Only in Payson, Utah! I really wish I could have paid off my gym teachers too- but I probably needed to much more than Kim did! Now I for sure know where I got my uncoordinated abilities and clumsiness from. Oh, and my "pleaser" personality. Thanks a lot! :) I'm impressed with your courage to confront her though and follow through on the bribe...

Mark and Kellie said...

You don't suppose I could have saved myself years of heartache and bribed my dissertation committee, do you?