Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Rich Life

Last night, I attended Book Club at Judy Peterson's home. We discussed the book, The Four Aggreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. We had an interesting discussion. I would recommend the book -lots of good, practical wisdom. We have all heard it before but this puts it in simple terms and is a good reminder of how to take care of ourselves.
Anyway, Ellen Sorenson was telling a story about how words can be so powerful. She said that a professor who is helping her with her dissertation came to her home for a day to work on changes, etc. You all heard about the shootings at Northern Illinois University. Well, campus was closed and so they met at Ellen's. As they were working, Ellen was interupted by phone calls from her daughter, voice messages, dinner cooking, etc. Ellen said she thought the professor would think that her life was choatic. But as she was leaving, she said, "Ellen, you have a very rich life". This affected her so greatly - just a few words that made such a difference in her thinking.
Now I have been thinking of my rich life. What incredible blessings I have received. Let me "count them one by one ...".
I can only list a few.
1. My family - present, past, future
2. The gospel - all that it means to the world and me
3. Temples - worthy to enter and preform celestial work for others
4. Home - a mansion compared to most people in the world
5. Friends - the people I was with in that intimate little group last night are some of the choicest women who have ever lived and I get to listen to their ideas and associate with them
6. Transportation - I can go anywhere in the world that I want
7. Body - healthy and strong and can hear and see and work
8. Service - able to help others and feel good in the process
9. Music - can hear the world's greatest on my little radio right in my room
10. Communication - can instantly be in touch with those I love
11. Seasons - so glad that we don't have to live in endless summer or winter - change is wonderful
12. Peace - in my heart if not in the world
13. Freedom - choices are mine because of others fighting for this
14. Love - what a wonderful feeling!
Thanks to all of you who enrich my life and make it wonderful! I am richly blessed.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

And you greatly bless ours!! Thanks for "adopting" me into your family and loving me just as if I were you own daughter. I love you and am so grateful for you and your family. Thank you for letting me be a part of your life. I will be forever blessed because of it.

Steve and Kim said...

Good thoughts! Glad you have such a good group of friends. That can make all the difference. We are very blessed because of you too!

LJ said...

Mom, this was a really uplifting post. We do have a rich life and it is good to remember our blessings. I am grateful for a mother like you that has enriched my life. I wouldn't be who I am today without your love and support for 28 years. I have always especially loved your positive, hardworking, humble attitude. When I complained you would say, "Think of the pioneers!" :) I find myself these days constantly thinking of you and what you would do in a certain situation. You and Dad are the perfect combo and a great example of a loving marriage. Also, I'm glad you have a great group of friends to be with. I bet you never thought you would meet them in a suburb of Chicago after growing up in Payson! I don't have that in this stage of my life, but hopefully someday!

Mark and Kellie said...

I'm assuming my name would have been singled out at #15?

J/K. We love you Mom. Thanks for all you do!