Tuesday, September 9, 2008

All Cut From the Same Cloth

A couple of years ago, I learned how to make a stack and slash quilt. Here is the fabric that I used. To make the squares, you stack the fabric in a certain way and then cut it (slash with rotary cutter). Then you take four pieces that are the same and put the matching corners together to form a square. By varying the way you put the pieces together, you end up with all sorts of different squares.
See some of the squares that I made below.






By putting the squares together with borders (sashing), you get a beautiful quilt with all different squares as blocks.I had the quilt top in the closet for a year or so and finally had a lady machine quilt it into this bedspread. I then made the pillow shams to match.
Then I made pillows and a bench cushion. The doll is one Jill made called "Happiness".

Of course, the pink lamp had to go - here is my $5 bargain lamp from Goodwill - I also replaced the pink clock with a nicer one (also from Goodwill).So now the bedroom has a completely different look!Why am I blogging about this? Well, I have been thinking that out of just one piece of fabric, so many different squares were created. It is just like our family - you are all different but were "cut from the same cloth"! Each one of you is unique and has a special place in our family quilt. It has been stitched together with love and experiences into something that is beautiful. Thank you all for being part of Dad and me!

5 comments:

Mom G said...

Dad says:
An extremely talented and insightful wife! I love the way her mind works (in addition to the obvious giftedness of her hands).

Steve and Kim said...

It looks beautiful! And you've always been so good at object lessons.

Paige said...

Wow, that's amazing. Quilting looks so complicated to me! Love the lamp too!

Mark and Kellie said...

Some days I feel like that piece of cloth that has been cut, slashed, twisted around, and poked with a thousand needles. How's that for an object lesson? :-)

Once again, great handiwork Mom!!

Sandra said...

It's beautiful!! You are so talented!!