Friday, September 26, 2008

Not Again!

This morning, my plan was to wash the deck and get it ready to stain. I blew off all the leaves and dirt. I came in the kitchen for a second and noticed that the ceiling was starting get a wet spot. We have had this happen before and so I went up to check the toilet that is right above. There was a little water leaking out. I touched the hose to see if I could stop it - and it fell off! Water spurted everywhere. I ran downstairs to turn off the water. By the time I came back up, the damage was done.
Here is our new stainless steel connection from tank to the water supply - cost - $7.00. I had the plumber replace the connections on the other two toilets - now total is $21.00. He also replaced the float and flapper in the one and now it is up to $53.

Of course, an hour of his time is $150 minimum - so the total is $203. Believe me, I was glad to pay it as he was here within an hour. Luckily, we have been using Keveloh Plumbing for many years and they are good. Our boys grew up with a couple of theirs. Here is the bathtub where I threw all the towels and mats.
Naturally, water has to obey the law of gravity and so it leaked down through the kitchen ceiling. It also leaked in the family room through one of the beams. We will have to see if we have to replace drywall. Last time it happened, we were able to sand it down and repaint it. Let's just hope that is the case this time.Anyway, that has been my morning - now for a nap and then an afternoon cleanup session.

LESSON LEARNED - know where the water turn off is AND which way to turn it. (Clockwise or righty - tighty) Also, our plumber says to turn off the water when you are on vacation. It could have been so much worse if I hadn't been here. Oh, and check your toilets now and then and see if the tubing is cracked or loose or dripping. These stainless ones should be fine. And also, pray a lot!!

7 comments:

Paige said...

Oh no, I remember when that happened last time. What a mess! You are smart to know where to turn off the water! I better have Dan show me that today. Good luck!

Sandra said...

So sorry about that! I don't know where our water valve is, either, so I better figure that out!

Mark and Kellie said...

Sorry!! But I'll have you know I wasn't anywhere NEAR your toilet when it happened!

I was leaving work the other night and heard some water running. I checked out one of the toilets and heard it leaking water from the tank. I looked inside and it had one of those old-fashioned, oval-shaped floats attached to a copper rod. I tried to bend the rod to change the level of the float, but the plastic float thingy cracked right off. O.K. . . I then tried to shut off the water valve, but it wouldn't budge because it hadn't been touched in years. I tried to bend the copper bar again, but the plastic on the flushing mechanism thingy then snapped. Great! Now water was splashing everywhere. I ran to find the toolbox so I could shut off the water. . . Turns out there aren't any toolboxes in counseling centers. After getting quite wet, I was able to finally turn the shut-off valve. I then did what I'm best at . . . printed out an OUT OF ORDER sign. We called the plumber the next morning and he also fixed our slow drains in the sinks. I'm sure it cost a pretty penny, but I don't have to pay for it!! Anyway, moral of the story . . . Never let a Ph.D. try to fix a plumbing problem -- it'll just get Piled Higher and Deeper!

Steve and Kim said...

Maybe this is a sign that it's time to move to the desert. You've had too much water trouble to last a lifetime.

Mom G said...

Dad says:
Mark, the presence of either yourself or a Ph.D. and persisting plumbing problems are really only correlates. Cause and effect will be difficult to definitively establish without the classic random assignment study. However, lacking such a study, numerous incidents of a specific correlation with few inconsistencies or contradictions can indeed be persuasive. This would support more your presence over the course of many years than the presence of the degree. At least in the western states. Further such correlational studies would be needed for the Midwest.

Kim,
If we are to follow the pattern of Church history, it would take significant adversity to persuade one to leave the Eden of Illinois to establish residence in the wilderness of Utah. (Or will there be an "Eden" in Utah soon?)

Steve and Kim said...

To quote someone important from long ago, "This is the Place." It was the obedient that left Illinois quickly and moved to Zion and didn't have to suffer the worst of the winter hardships. I believe your children have sufficiently paved the way for you who are "slow to hearken to the word..."

Mark and Kellie said...

If I'm not mistaken, many of the Saints stopped in Wyoming to rest prior to heading to Utah. Many are still here -- resting in peace.