Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 15th '11

From the last blog - I did make some little peasant blouses to go under some of the dresses. This is how they look. Monday was the "coming of age" day. All who turned 20 during 2010 were honored and are now considered adults. This is how the girls dress for this special day. Guys - just new suits!
Rulon was in the States taking a missionary home and had the camera (didn't take a single picture) so this article will help you to see what they looked like.
This is from the reception center across the street. I thought it was cute!
We went on a walk to see if we could find the Westin Hotel. Emily Lippincott is staying there and we want to be able to walk her back tomorrow after church and Sunday dinner.
It is actually not that far from us. It will be good to see Emily again as she is very special to us. She is now a lawyer in the Bay Area (San Francisco) and is here on business.
Dogs everywhere!
What color do you want YOUR body?
I love these cabbage roses that are everywhere now. They grow well in the cool weather.
Here are a couple of fun things that I learned this week. Every night we were hearing a clicking noise outside our window. We couldn't figure out what it was until I asked Sister Watabe. She explained that there are volunteers who go down the street hitting two sticks (metal, I guess) together to remind people to turn off their gas, kerosene, or electric heaters. Fire is a real danger here. It kind of reminded me of the song "The Old Lamplighter - of long, long ago")!
Another thing was a reminder that the Japanese have no "l" sound and it is very difficult for them to pronounce English words that contain an "l". For example, on Thursday as I walked into the preparation meeting at the temple, one of the presidency asked if I would pray. I said yes and went up to the first row so I could go up to the podium when it was time for the prayer. However, another man went up and sat on the stand and he prayed. I thought maybe I was to give the closing prayer. But after the instruction, we were just dismissed. I went up to Pres. Inoue and said, "I thought you asked me to pray". He looked at me and said, "I asked you to pray the organ if the organist didn't come in time". So funny!!

4 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Funny! Reminds me of the movie "A Christmas Story" where the dogs ate the Christmas turkey, so the family had to go to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. The waiters sang "Deck the Harrs with Boughs of Horry, Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra, Ra Ra Ra Ra. :-)

Glad to hear Dad got back safely.

Miss Kim said...

Oh I didn't watch that this year! Time for Netflix, I need a good laugh! Those flowers are pretty, and huge!

Paige said...

Yes, it reminded me of that movie too. :) I read it to Dan and he laughed about it. Love those flowers!

LJ said...

The "pray" story was so funny, Mom! :) Mark, your comment was hilarious too. :) I loved the pictures of the cabbage flowers- beautiful. I'm glad you got to see an old friend from Naperville! What a small world!