Sunday, January 2, 2011
January 1st 2011
This is a symbol of the new year . The fan represents the opening of a new year, the rounded shapes are some sort of pounded rice, the evergreen branches are eternal, and I think the red and white shapes represent prayers. I am unsure what that big bug is for!
Little Bo Peep was nice enough to let us take her picture as we sat across from her on the subway.
We were headed to Meiji Shrine for the New Year's Day celebrations. So were about a million other people! There were all sorts of food stands along the way.
These are covered plums on a stick - reminds me of "Little Jack Horner" - sat in a corner, eating his Christmas pie. He put in his thumb and pulled out a PLUM! (and said, "What a good boy am I!).
Or there were fish on a stick ...

Or fried octopus!
Looking down at the train station from above - here come the people! Japanese people want to visit a shrine as soon as they can after the new year to receive blessings for the coming year. Our Tokyo Temple even had two sessions on the holiday!
Another BoPeep primping ...
I haven't seen the American flag in a long time! I don't know what this was all about, but it makes a great picture!
This is a place where you can throw you old good luck symbols away (and buy new ones for the new year). There were all sorts of good luck arrows that were being collected and then they would be burned.
Entering the shrine area - I thought this was a welcome sign but the Watabes told us it just means "Watch Your Step".
Shorts and boots!
2011 is the Year of the Rabbit on the Zodiac calendar.
People trying to get near enough to throw coins into a huge canvas sling.
Giving a little prayer for good luck this next year.
This is where the coins were being tossed.



Caught him!
Guess he is thrilled about being in this huge crowd! At least, I didn't make him wait in a line.

Crowd pictures - few were in traditional kimono. Guess times have changed even here.
Here are a couple of women in kimono - Dad was taking a tally and the BoPeeps won!
Buying the new good luck arrows.
This little baby was in a bunny suit! "Bye Baby Bunting, Daddy's gone a hunting - to get a little rabbit skin to wrap his baby bunting in"!

More good luck items for sale!
Japanese version of the golden arches! Entrance to the food area!
So many interesting sights - you simply aren't surprised at the outfits and fashions!
Another Baby Bunny!
Do you love the red hair?
Smokers' hangout -
Such a cute family!
After lunch, we headed for a shopping street where ALL the stores were open and competing for business from the shrine goers.
Rabbits and bunnies everywhere!
Bleached blonde on Japanese???
Happy Bags were the thing of the day. You could buy a grab bag for certain prices from stores. It was a good way to get rid of unsold merchandise and appeal to the element of surprise that people love. People lined up for blocks to get bags from the exclusive stores!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They definitely have an interesting culture! The fashion? Well, I don't quite get the Bo Peep style. Natalia would love it though. :) I like the look the guy with the baby in the bunny suit is giving you! Oh, and if bugs are a sign of good fortune or good luck, we're in business!
I wonder what all these folks think of you taking their pictures . . . Dad included. Dad, I feel for you with the large crowds. I'm turning into you when it comes to crowds or lines.
Think if I set up a huge tarp in my yard I can get people to throw money into it for good luck? Maybe I'll try it. Sounds like a good racket.
Great pictures and a fun look at the new year celebrations in Japan! I think someone brilliant came up with the Happy Bag idea. I wonder if they could ever get that to catch on here in the good old US?! I, too, love the fashions. I'd love to see if the Bo Peep look comes this way! Hey, maybe I'll start the trend! You know me-- the trend setter!! Actually, I'm usually about a decade behind and by then I won't look even a tiny bit cute in one of those outfits! Ah well! Keep on keeping us posted!
Post a Comment