In front of the temple. It was just beautiful inside.
Wishes tied on trees - easier than making cranes!
Incense urn in front of temple.
Looking inside the temple - lots of gold!
Ashes of many generations - perfect place to find family history!
Food for the ancestors.
Friday, February 4, 2011
February 4th '11 (Sendai Mission)
These pictures prove that Rulon did sing with a quartet!
Rulon, Elder Grames, Lisa Evans, and Sister Grames practicing "The Iron Rod".
The Goths and Rulon - at the Shinkansen station ready to go to Sendai Mission for zone conferences. 
This is the double-decker Shinkansen that we rode all the way to Aomori. It would have taken about 11 hours to drive it but we made it in just about 3 1/2 hours.
And here comes the snow! We are traveling north. This is the first snow we have seen this season.
Paying the cab driver who took us to the hotel.
Checking in ...
The huge arrangement in the lobby ...
View from our window ...
President and Sister Tateoka who lead the Sendai Mission.
I have never seen such snow! But they clear the streets and keep the city going. We watched truck after truck take loads of snow to dump in the ocean.
Arriving at the Aomori chapel for the first zone conference.
Greeting the zone leaders ...

This is our lunch - rice with a special sauce (like ketchup).
Here they are listening to Elder Goth, the medical doctor, give his presentation.
I love how they decorate everything - even restroom stalls!
Here is a famous site - a cherry tree has burst through a solid rock. Parents bring their children here to take pictures and to show them an example of great determination. Notice how well the tree is cared for.
Another zone conference - another lunch!
Eating around a ping pong table!
There was a pond across from the church in Morioka where the Siberian swans come for the winter. We walked around it while the missionaries were practicing their presentations.

And the crow waits for a chance to steal the bread that we were throwing.
Aren't they beautiful!
The pond is completely surrounded with cherry trees. Love the character of this gnarled one.
Looking at the church from across the pond.
This is the sign on the church advertising English lessons - made by missionaries, of course.
Group picture in Morioka.
My best friend! It was freezing in the churches - they only heat the room they are using. I sat by the heater most of the time!
Little dolls that I saw in a restaurant.
Breakfast at the mission home in Sendai that Sister Tateoka fixed for us.
Church in Sendai.
The Sudweeks - office couple who know Gayle Palmer!
Sendai group picture.
Missionary footwear!

And headgear!
A restaurant we ate at in Sendai -love the sign!
Picture of kimono in a shop - beautiful ones on display in the hotel.
Obi display - works of art!
Little purses!
This is Elder Aoyagi's grandson - his mom was making us lunch in Koriyama.
And this man was helping to care for him while the sisters were busy in the kitchen.
Lunch is ready!
These are strings of cranes hung in bunches on a Budhaist temple that was across from our chapel.
You write wishes or goals on them and present them to the temple.
I am sure there is a significance to the clothing on the statue.
I found out that the ropes are to protect the trees from heavy snow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a great adventure. Though I think I would have asked for my money back on that first lunch -- rice and ketchup?? The second lunch looked a lot better!
(Weird how I only pay attention to the food.)
Looks like a great trip. I wish we had a bullet train here--it would make the trip to Vegas a lot more tolerable. Love the pic of Dad with all the birds. They must have been hungry! Can't wait to see/hear about your next trip. Be safe!
Hi Grandma & Grandpa, this is Sloanie. I like the picture of Grandpa surrounded by ducks! And the picture of those crazy dolls. And that picture of the Japanese girl that I thought was a real girl until my Daddy told my it was a poster. I miss you and love you and I'm glad you're on a mission.
Love Sloanie Bologna
Wow, you sure had a climate change! I loved all the pics of dad pulling his wallet out! :) (Seems like I've witnessed that a few times myself!) Love all the scenery and animal pictures!
Post a Comment