Monday, February 28, 2011

March 1st '11 Korean Cooking, etc.

March 3rd was Girls' Day here in Japan. From what I understand, during February a doll is displayed in homes where there are daughters. Wishes for the future are made and then on March 3rd, the doll is taken down. If it is left any longer, the girls will marry late. (I hear that some families leave it just so their daughters won't marry too young). This picture shows children dressed up like the dolls. Those on the top are the emperor and empress. And here are the dolls on boats being taken out to sea to be dumped! Then the wishes can come true!
Here are some of the workers last night after the Friday night English session. The Petersons are moving back to the States and this was their last night to work.
On Thursday, we were invited to Elder and Sister Choi's home for lunch. There is a Korean lady who is investigating the Church and so the Chois (who are Korean) invited her and her husband and daughter to come and meet us and Elder and Sister Goth. The husband is a physician. Since we are the mission doctors, we got invited! Here is the table setting. The ducks are "marriage ducks". They are always supposed to face each other - if they don't, it means that there is not harmony in the home!
This is their 5 year old daughter showing us how she can play the piano! She is very precocious and is an intense program just to be able to get into a certain Kindergarten next year!!
Sister Goth is a professional musician. She was listening to the concert!
These are actual blue flowers that were in a planter outside a store.
The next pictures show that spring is coming! These were taken last Sunday in the park.
And the Angel Moroni shows through the branches!
Here is a guy playing music in the park - there were a couple of others just playing and singing.
Selling flowers on the street corner. Anything to get people's attention! Maybe the missionaries should get a little pony!
Just so you can see the prices of burgers!
This was the largest crane I have ever seen - reminded me of Dave.
Here are our new home teachers - Brother Bohn and Zach Linder.
On Monday, we had a Korean cooking class at the home of Kimhae Yoo. This is her apartment!
Kimhae is an artist. Here are some of the things she has painted.
A Korean tiger ...
These screens were painted and placed in front of the bedroom window which over looks the cemetery!
She looks at pictures of ancient things and then reproduces them!
This is the recipe for Bi-Bim Bap that was demonstrated. It involves a lot of chopping!
Kimhae in her amazing kitchen - it looked like one from a cooking show on TV!
Making the sauces ...
And the final product! It was delicious!
Here's the group watching the demonstration.
And enjoying the results!
This was a fun activity for all of us. Good food and friends!

5 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Fun to see another blog post with more fun cultural facts. Sad fate for the dolls though. I sure hope those burgers taste good!! $1 McDonalds burgers are usually good enough for me!

Mark and Kellie said...

Some very artistic people there. The picture of the hometeacher and the boy looked like the type of picture you'd see in a church training video. The ideal hometeaching companionship.

So, what type of a "special recommend" do you have to show the cashier to be able to eat that burger?

Paige said...

Interesting customs they have there. Kim told me once that the state of your bedroom says a lot about your marriage (bed made, etc). What does it say if I just try and sleep on top of the covers so nothing gets messed up, Dad? ;)

I can't say I've ever heard of a cherry burger before! The cooking class sounds fun. She has a beautiful home.

Gibson Family said...

Hi, this is Sloanie Bologna. I love you and miss you. I love looking at your blog. I like the picture of the tiger with its crazy eyes, cause it had huge eyes. I'm glad you're on a mission. Love, Sloane.

LJ said...

Loved all the new pictures, Mom! I'm glad you got your blog back- sorry about the confusion! The artistic lady who invited you over is so talented! I hope you bring home some new recipes for us to try! The little girl playing the piano was adorable too. That was sweet of the family to invite you to dinner! I'm afraid that in our family, our ducks aren't always facing each other! :) So interesting to read about their Girls Day too. I guess they don't get too attached to those dolls if they just dump them at sea at the end of the day! :) Anyway, I'm glad you are having such rich, amazing experiences!