Sunday, November 18, 2007

Hairy Situations .

As I was washing my hair in the tub this morning, I thought of another tip to pass along. Buy two or three hair traps (they fit over the drain hole) - use them wherever hair is washed. All you do is place it over the hole as the water is draining and it catches all that hair that would normally go down and clog the drain pipe. When the water is gone, use your trusty cheap tissue to remove the hair from the trap and then dispose of hair and tissue together. Believe me, I am thinking of giving these traps as wedding gifts. They would save a lot of plumbing bills and aggravation. Of course, you still need to use Draino once in a while. If you have slow running drains right now, here is another tip. Get a crochet hook - a metal one with a fairly small hook (not too small or it will break off more easily). Grasp it on the flat part and put the hook down in the drain and pull up - you may be surprised to see the gunk that comes up. Just don't drop the hook down the drain! If your plug will come out, you can use an old tootbrush to get the gunk out.
Another use for your tissue is to use it to pull the hair from your brush. Yes, you need to do this!!!! If you have ever had a lice problem, you will want to keep your combs and brushes as clean as possible. Once in a while, soak the brushes in hot soapy water and use an old toothbrush to clean the old hairspray, gel, etc. out. Rinse in hot water and let dry on an old towel.
If these are the only "hairy situations" you have to worry about, you will be blessed indeed!!

3 comments:

Steve and Kim said...

Thanks for the tips. I think it's time for us to buy some hair traps. Yesterday Steve cleaned out the bathtub drain with tweezers, but I bet we could get more with something longer!

Mark and Kellie said...

Yech! You reminded me of whenever we move into a new house. I always clean out the drains as best as I can. I've found some pretty nasty surprises in those drains. With 5 females in our house, we would definitely benefit from using hair traps.

LJ said...

Our bathtub drain gets clogged a lot, so maybe we need to use hair traps too. I like the crochet tip too. I am just too girly to touch all that gross stuff, but I know if I don't do it, no one will! How many times did you see Dad doing that? :)