Friday, November 16, 2007

Lunch Helps

I just finished making Dad's lunch (yes, I have done it most days now for 42 years). I have had it easy because he likes the same thing every day. I have learned a few hints that I will pass on as most of you have years of lunchmaking ahead of you.
My most wonderful discoverey (sometime last year) was that after you make the sandwich, don't cut it until you slide it halfway into the baggie. Then you can cut it in half and slide it in so much more easily. I must buy the cheap bags because they are all barely big enough and this really helps so I don't crush the sandwich trying to get it into the bag. I always buy the fold down type instead of the ziplock kind because they are cheaper and they get thrown away anyway. I save the ziplock ones for things that I store in the fridge so they stay fresher longer.
I have a drawer in the fridge devoted just to lunchmeat, cheese, carrots, apples, etc. That way I can pull everything out at once.
While you have everything out, you may as well make up a few sandwiches for later in the day. It is a lot more effficient to just get things out once. Then, when noon arrives, you have lunch all made and don't have to get things out again.
Try to put things back in the fridge before you leave the kitchen. I don't like to walk back in and still see things on the counter.
Write little love notes on the napkin or on the sack. Dad & I have been doing little poems that go back and forth each day. It is just another way to say that you are thinking of them.
Have fun while making lunches - listen to the radio or hum a tune. Remember, you are nourishing someone you love (and saving money so they don't have to buy their lunch). Love you all!

4 comments:

LJ said...

Oh, that is so romantic that you write poems for each other! I'll have to try that with Dustin' lunches. You have some great tips here- though I think I will always splurge for those generic zip lock baggies. :) I think it's amazing that you've been making his lunch for 42 years. Wow. That is quite the accomplishment. Think of all the money you saved. It's probably thousands of dollars. I enjoy making Dustin's lunch early in the morning too. He seems appreciative that I get up in the morning and don't just stay in bed for him to do it. Then I get to hug him goodbye. But eventually I want to be like you and dad and say a little prayer before he leaves. I always thought that was sweet.

Anyway, great post!

Sandra said...

I'm so glad that you're blogging!! I'm really going to have to start that sometime.....and I really should make Victor lunches, but I don't. I know, I'm awful! Maybe I should start to do that, but I better ask him because I kind of think he'd prefer to eat out! ;-)

Mark and Kellie said...

I think this is the best idea yet! (The wife making the lunches part, that is!)

. . . still hoping she gets the hint . . .

Actually, I come home for lunch on most days since I'm only 2 minutes away.

Mark :-)

Mark and Kellie said...

Hey, I'd be glad to make my hubby's lunch if he liked to eat pb&j. That's what I'm usually making for the girls' lunches (they don't like anything else!). He likes to eat leftovers, so I'm glad he can just come home for lunch. That way I don't have to feel guilty for not getting a lunch made for him! I do like the idea of writing poems. I'm not quite that creative, but I do write notes on the girls' napkins and on Mark's if I ever do make him a lunch!

Kellie