Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Delightful Surprise

Yesterday, I held a little shower for Becky Sorenson Reed and her baby Paul. They now live in Australia and had come back for a little visit. I invited women who had known Becky throughout her growing up years. We were to start at 11:30 and nearly all had arrived by about 11:50. We knew that the announcement of the new first presidency of the Church was to be aired at noon. So we all trouped upstairs to the computer and tried to get it on. We were able to figure it out but the first announcement had already been made. We were all speculating when Connie Furstenau said, "It will probably be someone like Elder Uchtdorf". Judy Peterson then said, "No, he hasn't been in long enough". Just then we heard the introduction of Sister Monson, Sister, Erying and Sister UCHTDORF! We all gave a cheer of delight and surprise! It was so wonderful to be standing with eleven wonderful, worthy women and hear the news that will impact Church history forever. We were all in agreement that this was a great choice for the worldwide Church. Our prayers and support go out to this new presidency. The Lord is in charge.

7 comments:

Paige said...

Do you mean BROTHER Eyring, BROTHER Uchtdorf and BROTHER Monson?

Yes, it was an exciting announcement! I had gotten busy and looked at the clock and it was 11:07! I ran and turned the TV on and put two and two together when I they finally showed the three sitting there. It's neat that Mark knew him as a stake president in Germany.

Mom G said...

Hi, I guess I didn't write that well - no, we missed the first announcement and just got the intro of the wives!

LJ said...

Mom- what a neat story of how you and the other women found out! How sweet that you all gathered around the computer. I wish you could have seen it on TV. It was pretty exciting. The news lady for Ksl gave it away at 10:59 AM before it started because she said at the very beginning, "I see President Monson's wife, President Eyring's wife, and President Uchtdorf's wife sitting in front." :) It was a fun surprise and I'm glad you got to see it. Connie Furstenau is a good guesser!

Steve and Kim said...

I was busy too and didn't get the TV on until 11:30, but was glad to see the three of them sitting there. I just got to see the end of the Q/A session and I thought it was weird that people were asking Pres. Monson about his favorite color and ice cream. Reminds me of primary and 2nd grade. At least his answers were slightly more profound.

Paige said...

Oh sorry, I guess I didn't see the part with the wives!

Mark and Kellie said...

Kim, they actually had some fairly good questions at the beginning, but the reporters were not allowed to ask about politics and were not allowed to follow up on the prophet's answers. I think the ice cream question was simply to lighten the mood and put him in good graces with the church so he could get future interviews. For the most part, though, they threw President Monson a bunch of "soft ball" questions for his first day on the job. People were quite wary of bringing up anything controversial in the first press conference.

Steve and Kim said...

Oh, I guess I'll have to look up the press conference and read it all! Thanks.