Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Our Early Morning Kitchen Dance

Each morning, Dad and I do a kind of dance around each other in our kitchen. Because of the island, the area for food preparation is small. Dad likes to fix his own oatmeal (I guess I don't do it quite right) so I am making his lunch at the same time. I usually have all the fixings on the far counter by the stove so he can use the island. But we still both need things from the drawers and cupboards. You should watch how we (I, mostly) dip and turn to avoid knocking into each other. It actually is a beautiful ballet. We have lived and worked together for so many years that it all comes very naturally. It is cooperation to the hilt. He is getting nourished so he can go off into the world and slay the dragon for me. I am packing his noon meal so he can get through the day and return home with the paycheck! Our lives are so intertwined that we are able to predict and just know what the other one needs. Isn't this what marriage is supposed to be - a becoming "one"?
I am so thankful that we have our routines and that life is predictable for the most part. Of course, we surprise each other and get into each other's territory at times (like stepping on toes while dancing) but usually our choreography is beautiful.
We end our "morning dance" with a hugging prayer together. What a wonderful way to start each day! Thanks, Sweetheart!

8 comments:

Steve and Kim said...

That's cute. You both really do have it all figured out. We don't Steve usually just goes to the other bathroom when we're getting ready for bed.

Paige said...

That's so funny--I really was imagining you guys dancing around on purpose in the kitchen! I can't wait until I have Dan all figured out....I don't think he'll EVER have ME figured out. :)

Gibson Family said...

I would have loved to see that. I remember how excited you used to get when you heard Dad open the door after arriving home from work.

LJ said...

Oh- that is so sweet, Mom! I love this analogy of your morning "dance". That is exactly what we watched growing up. What great examples of marriage and cooperation and teamwork you both were. I also remember you guys REALLY dancing around in the kitchen of our old house. Dad would dip you down and kiss you- we would all groan. :) I am so glad you're still sweethearts and in love after all these years. That's exactly how I want to be! I think you earn part of his "slaying the dragon" paycheck by making his lunch (and doing his laundry) all these years! :) What a fun post to read today. Thanks!

Mark and Kellie said...

Uggh! Gross!! (Isn't that what we used to say?)

You guys sure are a great example to us. Our morning "dance" has become:

"Oh yes you WILL go to the potty, and you'll do it NOW!"

"Holly!! Your bus is here! How many times are you planning on changing your outfit?"

"Kayla, can you at least TRY to say ONE nice thing to Heather?"

"Heather, get over here and sit down and listen to the scriptures. You'll listen and you'll LIKE it!!"

"Why on earth should we make the bed when we're going to mess it up again tonight?!"

"Make your lunch!!? Keep dreaming Sweetie!"

Anyway, it works for us. Maybe we need a few dance lessons though.

LJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LJ said...

Mark-

What?! Kellie doesn't make your lunch?

And just who complains they do not want to make the bed because they mess it up at night- you or Kellie?

:)

Mom G said...

Dad says:
I suspect part of what fuels our "dancing" is the notable absence of the above-mentioned shenanigans from our home for a number of years.