Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11th '11 - Guam, etc. Part 3

Remember that last post with all the snow? This is where we were just a week later! We went to Guam, Pohnpei and Chuuk which are part of the Asia North Area.
This is a growth on one of the many palm trees - at first I thought it was a hive.
Dogs seem to just run loose with no real owners.
I guess this sign says it all.
These are some of the artifacts from the many Japanese ships that are buried beneath the sea here. Divers from all over the world come to Chuuk and the other islands to see the underwater museums.
Doesn't this just look like a postcard? I took it!
There were lots of ships and yachts in the area.
We stayed at the Blue Lagoon in Chuuk.
It was just a paradise - except for the roads and the condition of the people's homes (shacks).

There were skinny kitties just begging for food. I gave this one some leftover pancake.
This is a relic from the war - a hideout for soldiers to shoot from.
This is the van that brought us from the airport.
And this is the inside of the door of one of the other vans we rode it! The roads are TERRIBLE! They are redoing the sewers and have torn up everything - I guess it has been going on for years. We just bounced along at a couple of miles per hour through mud and water.
Rulon presented at a zone conference along with Dr. Goth, the medical advisor. Here are some of the Chuuk elders.
They sang their mission song in Chuukese (the learn the language from the people there on the island and from other elders). Here you can see President and Sister Dowdle. They will go home in July after 3 years. They were called for two but were asked to extend. Guam/Micronesia is considered a hardship mission because of the distances involved. They are always on a plane!
And the elders love it! Don't they look happy!
Coconut milk for breakfast!
I also gave pancakes to the fish. Here you can see how clear the water is.
These people just go out on boats like we would go in a car. Some of the workers at the Blue Lagoon boat in from other islands each day.
Here are some of the divers getting ready to go out.
Loading up a truck to take the luggage back to the airport.

These coconuts have fallen off the trees during the night.
Want to rent a motorcycle so you can drive through the mud?
Look how beautiful! I told Dad I don't need to go to Hawaii. I have seen enough!
Here's a light from a tree - who needs a pole?

This little guy let me take his picture. He was waiting in the airport and I thought he was so cute.
Here are the Dowdles. They are so wonderful and love the missionaries so much.
Sister Goth with a fan near the air conditioner at the airport waiting area. HOT!!!
I was so glad to see the American flag! Guam is a territory of the United States. I guess people have all the privileges except for voting for president.
This is a view from the Sheraton in Guam where we stayed the last night.
You can see the small islands and ocean (and hotel tennis courts).
An entertainer at the hotel.
Fresh flowers in the lobby - they smelled so good! And we got on a shuttle and went to a KMart!! It was so great to see products I recognize and everything in English again!!! I was like a kid in a candy shop (in fact, I did bring back lots of candy for our Valentine's Day cookie making activity)!
I had heard that Guam consumes the most Spam in the world and I guess here is the proof! Look at all the different varieties!
I love this tree!
And this one!
Here is the Sheraton. It was amazaing after our other hotels.
These are copies of the Book of Mormon in many different languages. There is a language for each island, it seems.
Office elders at work - Guam.
Cleanest apartment awards.

Guam/Micronesia Mission includes three time zones!


Mission office ...
And the chapel in Guam.
The Goths, Dowdles, and us! What a wonderful trip! I will never forget it.

2 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

What beautiful pictures!! I think we've done scenic puzzles that are less pretty than that picture you took. Neat to see so many flavors of Spam. I happen to be one of the few Spam-lovers in America. It would be fun to try the other flavors.

Steve and Kim said...

Just read all three entries. That's absolutely amazing! Wonderful that you get to see so much of the world and the differences each place has. Glad you are safe, had a good time, and did some good everywhere you went!