Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hiroshima Peace Museum August '11

Sister Donahoe and I visited the Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum while our husbands were busy seeing missionaries at the zone conference.

It was really sobering to see the damage that can be inflicted by man.

Here is a bronze crane - the symbol of peace.

The signs will tell part of the horrible story of Hiroshima.





























Model of the dome ...

School kids visiting ...

Lanterns that are set out on the river to remember the victims ...

Looking out over the Peace Park ...



Remember the story of Sadako who folded the paper cranes in the hopes that she could fold 1000? She suffered from leukemia as a result of radiation and died before she folded 1000 but her story has inspired millions. People still fold cranes - 1000 were folded and presented to us to give to the school that the Church is helping up in the Tohoku area. They symbolize hope for the future.

Radiation can cause such horrible things to happen to the body. So many died a slow death. The ones who died immediately were the lucky ones.



This shows how the bomb just blew the bricks off the buildings.

Actual clothing of a bomb victim...



Model of bomb ...



Tricycle ...

Drum ...

A-Bomb Dome - left as a reminder of the devastation.

It is so hard to think that when I was just 2 years old, the city of Hiroshima was bombed. The city is now beautiful and modern. The Peace Park and Museum serve as reminders of the horrors of war. I am glad that I was able to see it for myself after hearing about it all my life.

4 comments:

Steve and Kim said...

Hope that never happens again. Glad you got to see it.

Mark and Kellie said...

Thanks for the pictures. I'll have to read a bit more about this. I'm not very knowledgable about that incident.

LJ said...

Yes, I remember as a little girl you reading me the story of Sadako and the 1000 paper cranes! I remember both you and I crying while we read it! The bombing of Hiroshima is such a sad story. It reminds me of the tragedies of 9/11. Terror and war are so scary. I am glad you got to visit it and see such a historical place. I didn't realize it happened when you were only 2.

Paige said...

Looks like a beautiful museum. Some of those pictures are hard to see. I'm glad they've done something to memorialize it.