Sunday, September 4, 2011

Trip to Utah - Dad's Funeral Part 1

I got word that my Dad died on Saturday, August 13th. I was able to make arrangements to fly to Utah for the funeral. Here we are packing up the van. The Watabes drove me to catch the bus to the airport.



Ready to board the bus for the long trip.

While waiting for the plane at Tokyo airport, I met an old Naperville neighbor! This is Valerie Shii - Loo. She was on her way to China and recognized me. It was fun to catch up with her.
What a chance meeting!

I had a layover in San Francisco.

I carried this pink umbrella all the way for Sister Pinckney! She and her husband returned about 6 weeks ago and she couldn't get it home.

Jill and the kids picked me up in Salt Lake. We stopped at McDonalds on the way to Lindon.

Here is where I met Little Hayden for the first time!

Natalia and Hayden.

And their cute Mom!

Here I am with Jill and kids.



Hayden in his jumper!

Patiently waiting for Grandma's goodies!

Getting Japanese fans!



Hayden and his mom!

And Ben the dog.

The Shanks kids and their gifts.

Aren't they cute!

Showing off their kites.

Then the Asp family came!



Ella and her fan.



Darling Eden!

Blurry - but beautiful!

What a cute face!

Emily loves Hayden!

Me and the Asps!

With Emily - 8 years old.

Ella - 6 years old.

And someone took the camera and got these shots.











Grandma and Eden - 2 years old.

Grandma and Natalia - almost 6 and going to Kindergarten.

And here come the Johnsons - Ty - 11 years old.

Samantha - 10 and 1/2

Braydon - 7 years old

Lynn and me!

Rissy - 4 years old and so cute!

Then we all went to McDonalds for lunch.

The Johnsons and their fans and gifts.

With Lynn

and Grandma!

Ty and Braydon and their Japanese outfits.


4 comments:

mason shanks said...

It was fun to have you here, despite the sad circumstances. I love the pictures (except for the ones of your oldest daughter). :-) I hope things have settled down for you now and that your sleep schedule is back on track! Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

LJ said...

Love all the cute pics, Mom! The grandkids were all so adorable and looked so happy to see their grandma again! Thanks so much for bringing us such fun gifts. It was wonderful seeing you and the funeral was beautiful. I think Grandpa would have been so honored that you traveled so far to be there. I think that is so neat that you saw Mrs. Shii at the airport! I remember you babysitting her boys and playing legos with them as a little girl. It's a small world. I'm glad you had a nice trip and can be back with Dad to finish your mission. Love you!

Steve and Kim said...

It was so nice to see you again! The girls loved all their Japanese goodies! We are glad you were able to come. Thanks for sharing your time with everyone while you were here!

La Asistente said...

So sorry to hear of you father's passing. Hope your mother is surrounded by those who love her best.

Loved all the pictures of the grandchildren and I'm glad that you love McDonalds so much.

Love, Cynthia