Friday, December 16, 2011

More Mission Fun - Nov. & early Dec. '11

We travelled up to beautiful Mt. Takau for Family Home Evening. There are several old homes that have been brought in and turned into restaurants. The setting is just beautiful as you can see. Moss growing on the roof of one of the restaurants...

Entrance sign...

Look how magical it looks in the dark with the lanterns glittering.

This was in front of a museum that had lots of old items to look at. I'm glad I live now!

Suits of armor in the museum ...

Rulon looking at some artifacts ...

The famous open and closed mouth dragon dogs ...



Looks like this drum has seen its day ... Masks ...



Looking into the attic ...

Mallets to pound the rice ...

Oars ...

Grinder ...

In the attic, there was a place to raise silkworms!

It was the end of November and there were still some beautiful leaves.

Here is our table all set up - our feet go into a pit in the ground.

This is the floral arrangement that is placed under a scroll on one wall.

Donahoes and Grames ready for dinner.

Sister Watabe, Richs and us ready for a traditional Japanese meal.

Here it comes!



The meat was cooked right here at the table.







This red bridge was one of several that crossed the stream to other cottage/restaurants. I don't suppose we will ever have such a memorable Family Home Evening again!

After Institute, some of the women stayed to make obi balls as Christmas decorations for those in temporary housing up north. The goal was 100 but I think they surpassed that. They are quite intricate and require a lot of patience!


However, I also had a quilt to tie and a couple did that.

This was on the door of the chapel! Never know who may want to come into the church!

Here is our latest acquisition! He is supposed to be the 1st emporor. I know the boys are going to love looking at him!

We put our our little Christmas tree!

This is a group of RS sisters and Primary children who went to a nursing home to sing.









On the first Saturday in December we went out to the school that most of the kids in our branch attend for WinterFest. It was a fundraiser for the school sort of like the Pumpkin Festival but with various vendors selling items. There was also lots of food from different lands to buy.



This is Megan Hershi who sang a solo in on of the entertainment rooms.

The Benfell boy was part of this drum group.

This is Monique Herrman who also preformed . We enjoyed our trip there - about an hour by car. The kids take a bus and go an hour to school and home. The education is superb though with most graduates entering universities.

5 comments:

mason shanks said...

What a nice catch-up session I just had! I marvel at all of the wonderful experiences you are having. I worry about post-mission blues. We'll have to find a good therapist for you to help you to work through it all! (Especially the fact that you'll be living close to children and grandchildren!) :-) Keep enjoying every minute of it! What wonderful memories you are making!

mason shanks said...

Okay "Unknown" is me - Jill. Love you!

Paige said...

I'm predicting a lot of Asian influence in your home when you return--food and decor included!

Mark and Kellie said...

Fun to see more pictures of your lives there. Thanks for putting the time in to share with us.

mason shanks said...

Jill - I just reread this post and laughed at your comment, "I'm glad I live now!" You know, if you read that with the wrong inflection, it really makes you wonder about your satisfaction with life! I had to reread that a couple of times to get the true meaning behind it! :-)