Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Freezer Secrets

I was talking with Lynn today about Thanksgiving preparations. I mentioned a secret that I have used for years and thought I would share it with all of you. She asked if she should throw away the gizzard, neck, etc. from the turkey. I told her to put them in a plastic bag and freeze it until the next garbage day and then throw it away. I also told her to do the same with the turkey carcass (unless you boil it down and make soup like I do. Then I freeze the bones, skin, etc. for disposal on garbage day.) I do this with melon
rinds, fish bones & skin - anything that is smelly. It is especially good to do this in the summer when it is so hot and smells in the garbage can get awful. You have to have a special place in the freezer for this purpose - otherwise, you might try to take something out for dinner and be surprised when you open it!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We will be thinking about all of you.

3 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

We've done this as well. We also use this trick for grease. We pour it into a soup can and cover it and freeze it until garbage day. That way, we're not pouring the grease down the drain and it's not sitting there stinking up the counter. It also doesn't spill in the garbage when you put it in there if it's frozen.

Mark

Paige said...

That's funny, Mark. Whenever I drain our ground beef I put foil under the strainer (shaped like a bowl) and then stick the foil with the grease in the freezer. We just cleaned out our freezer and I found probably seven things of foil! I guess the key is to make sure you don't forget about it! :)

LJ said...

I am glad you gave me this tip. There is nothing worse than the smell of old turkey! :) But some of us just pour grease down the drain anyway since we're too lazy to freeze it. I guess someday I'll learn the hard way unless I heed to this warning. :)