Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday Dinner is Ready!

Since Dad and I are working at the temple on Saturdays now, we don't go out to eat and save half for Sundays. (Although we did stop at Buona Beef last night for a little something - thought of you, Dave!) So here is the spinach lazagne, acorn squash and cranberry jello (you can see we snitched some last night) ready for dinner today. Wish we could have you here to eat with us! By now you are probably tired of turkey and this looks good to you! Here is the recipe -
1 can of crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs - 28 oz (I have used a bottle of spagetti sauce instead and you just need to add a little rosemary or other seasoning to make it taste more Italian) 1 small carton of cottage cheese - I use the no fat or low fat - 1 pkg frozen chopped spinach
lagagne noodles - do not cook - about 3/4 package
2 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1 T. parsley
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1 c. grated mozzarella cheese

In 9x13 baking pan, spread some of the sauce on the bottom, place noodles on top of sauce in a layer
Combine cottage cheese, eggs, salt, parsley, parmesan cheese
Spread cottage cheese mixture over lasagne noodles
Add another layer of noodles
Spead unthawed spinach over noodles (I just unthaw the whole pkg in the microwave right in the box)
Another layer of noodles
More sauce covered with mozzarella cheese

Put about a cup of water in the tomato can and rinse it around to use up rest of sauce - pour this mixture around the edges of the lasagne. Seal tightly with aluminum foil and place (ON COOKIE SHEET - saves the oven) in over at 350 for about an hour until noodles are tender. If there is still moisture, remove the foil for the last little while.
Can add more cheese on top if desired. I don't like to have the top layer of cheese on while baking as it gets too brown.

TRICK - let sit for at least a half hour to set up before serving. You can refrigerate it and it will taste better the next day - flavor seems to improve.

You can add some cooked hamburger or sausage to one layer if desired.

2 comments:

Steve and Kim said...

Boy, I can't wait until you come cook for us for a couple of weeks!! I've gotten so tired of thinking of meal ideas lately! Everything looks great. Glad you guys like leftovers, or it wouldn't be fun cooking for two.

LJ said...

Oh, that did look SO good- especially after turkey! You are the best lasagna maker. I made that on the night of my first kiss with Dustin when we were dating- it's a lucky recipe! Dad's lucky to have such a good cook for him. I remember being about 8 years old and having to teach him how to make scrambled eggs when you were at girls camp with J & K. :) Anyway, thanks for the recipe. I am sure craving some of your cinnamon rolls now too. Think you could figure out how to make those sugar free for Dustin?