Monday, August 30, 2010

August 30th

We celebrated Rulon's birthday Sunday night with cake and ice cream at our apartment. We had the other senior couples over . Rulon will be 68 tomorrow! Blowing out the candles!
For Family Home Evening, Rulon presented on "The Psychology of Happiness". He did so much research on it during the week even though he already had given it previously. He said it was "fun" to see what was new on the subject! We are so different. For the activity, I made some pillows with a little kimono on it. We filled them by using the stuffing from an old bedspread. Here are the men cutting it open and pulling out the batting.
Sister Fillmore and Sister Watabe stuffing and stitching.
Sister Goth working so carefully.
Making the batting nice and fluffy!
This is what the bedspread looked like after it was "debatted" ...
And before - see how ugly it was! Glad we got to recycle at least part of it.
Here is the pattern I used and how it looked before sewing on the sashing and backing.
The finished pillow!
Perfect addition to our bedroom!
It was a fun evening and I think they enjoyed it - we should have called it "Happiness in Word and Deed" ! (Oh, and happiness in Eats! We had freshly baked cinnamon rolls for our treat.)

3 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen Dad with a pair of scissors in his hands. . . Nope. I guess that's what old guys do on a mission when they're not allowed to go fishing or watch college football.

Mom G said...

Dad defends himself:
What Mom failed to mention was that we guys were over in the corner discussing the role of assertiveness (compared to passivity or aggressiveness) in the social dimension of happiness. I am using the scissors to demonstrate symbolically the necessary presence of both firmness and kindness in order to effectively "cut it" through the fabric of life. I believe they went away much edified after understanding that point (or both points as the case was).

Steve and Kim said...

HAHA dad, sure, that's what happened. I love the kimono pillow!! I'm sure those will be adorning those senior couples homes forever. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!! Depending on how long Pouch mail is, you'll get our cards in a month or two. :)