Friday, January 28, 2011

January 28th '11

I know, I know! But I want to remember "the time of the dresses"! Carried my sewing machine all the way to the church so the Young Women could make some dresses.
Finished the 5 corduroy jumpers - here's one. Sisters Seabach and Sorenson came over early to help cut out the dresses so the YW could begin to sew immediately.
Most of the girls had never used a machine before. They did quite well!
The YW leaders also helped - here are two girls learning that pressing is an important part of sewing.
I think the girls had fun and learned some things too.
They didn't finish the dresses, so the next day a few of us gathered and completed the ones they had started. I think the girls will be very pleased to see the final products tomorrow at church.


Now for the second part of this blog birthday parties! Yesterday at noon, we women went to a Mexican restaurant (very rare around here) for Momoko's birthday lunch. She is the executive secretary to Elder Stevenson. She is so talented and a wonderful girl.
Here is Momoko ready to eat intestine soup - yuck!!
And sweet Emi who is the secretary to our Director of Temporal Affairs. She also ordered the soup - the rest of us had salads!
Here is the birthday cake.
And then last night, we senior missionaries got together to celebrate Elder Fillmore's birthday. Here is Elder Watabe with the ingredients for "naba" which we cooked right there on the table with the portable gas burners.
Lots of vegetables - cabbage, mushrooms, and other things that I haven't seen before. Also, there were tofu blocks, chicken or pork and "glass" noodles plus a broth that we cooked it
all in. It's done! Elder Watabe dishes it out with chopsticks, of course.
And here's the cake and the blowing out of the candle.
The cake was delicious - pecan frosting on oatmeal cake. If you notice the ice cream - that much is about $12 US dollars!!!
We surely eat a lot together! We are glad that our apartment is large enough to fit us all in for such occasions.

2 comments:

LJ said...

I'm so glad you get to use your sewing talents out there! I bet the YW loved learning from you- the master! :) I wish I had gained your love for sewing. Just not my thing! The birthday lunch also looked like fun. I can't believe the soup those ladies ate!

Paige said...

I know, I wish I had paid more attention to all those sewing lessons! Maybe when you come back we'll have to pick it up again. That food looks great (minus the intestine soup-yikes!).